Floor mats are a key protection for your vehicle’s original carpet, protecting it from mud, water, snow and other things nature is kind enough to leave lying around throughout the year. They’re also ideal protection when one is trying to safeguard the car’s floors from a pack of soccer-playing kids, or when our work schedule has us in and out of the car on different types of ground underfoot.
When you’re looking to buy floor mats for your vehicle, what are the important things to consider? There are a number of factors people will undoubtedly take into consideration, including brand name, material, what kind of vehicle the mats are designed for (sedan, SUV, etc.), their color, groove patterns and surface design features, as well as the price, how it can be paid for and more.
When it comes to quality floor mats, WeatherTech is one of the biggest names out there. The trouble is that they have so many products to choose from, so how can you know you’re getting the right ones? Below you’ll find our guide to the 4 best WeatherTech floor mats and the different qualities that make them ideal.
1. WeatherTech All-Weather 4-Piece Set – Editors Choice
This set of 4 mats is designed with a universal fit for use in passenger cars or SUVs. They are made from odorless, latex-free TPE that contain no harmful PVCs, no lead, and no cadmium. If the 19×27” dimensions of the front mats are a little large for your vehicle initially, you can trim them down to 16×24” for a better fit. The rear mats are 18.5×17” as standard, but can be trimmed down to 16.5×15”.
The material may be eco-friendly, but it’s also incredibly durable. The two things are not mutually exclusive when dealing with WeatherTech. The material will stay soft and supple, resisting cracking, curling and hardening even in harsh sub-zero winter weather. These mats are also fitted with Weather Tech’s own patented MatGrip technology that helps to stop them shifting, especially the driver’s side mat thus keeping them firmly affixed to the floor.
- Universal fit suitable for just about any passenger car or SUV
- Can be trimmed to fit smaller dimensions if needed
- Durable, eco-friendly materials
- Easy to clean
- Won’t crack, curl, or harden in winter weather
- Patented technology to keep them secure on the ground
- Free shipping from Amazon
- Simple design doesn’t stand out among some competitors
- Trimming can be difficult on some vehicles
2. WeatherTech All Vehicle Cargo Mat – Best Value
These mats are made from rubber-like TPE which offers a pleasing feel and high levels of durability but without having to endure the less than pleasant plastic smells that some other products bring. The front mats measure 19×27” long, and the rear mats 18.5×17” long, but the product is designed with handy trim lines to make trimming down to the right size if needed much easier.
These mats come complete with a reservoir for trapping water and other fluids, as well as specially designed nibs that are molded in and help keep the mat firmly in place once laid down. The material is highly resistant to temperature extremes, and the simple designs of the surface patterns make the mats easy to clean with a hose and brush. What’s more, customers ordering from Amazon will enjoy free shipping on this item.
- Highly durable and odor-free TPE material
- Easy to trim to size thanks to trim lines
- Mats resistant to temperature extremes
- Effective in capturing moisture
- Free shipping
- Groove design only meant for lighter-duty protection
- No flexible payment options on Amazon
3. WeatherTech Semi All-Weather 3-Piece – Premium Pick
This unique 3-piece set comes in black, grey or tan to suit different car interiors. They’re a universal fit for most passenger cars and can be easily trimmed to fit. They’re made from the same solid and sturdy TPE that WeatherTech often uses for its floor mats. They are manufactured in the US and made to meet ISO 9001 and FMVSS302 standards for assured quality.
One big plus of the three-piece design is that it makes the job of cleaning the mats easier with the rear mat being a single piece that can be easily and quickly hosed and scrubbed. They’re also very affordable despite being a premium design, and come with free shipping.
- Multiple color choices
- Easy to clean
- Durable TPE
- Made to meet various industrial standards
- Made in the US
- Universal fit
- Not easy to trim down to size, and excessive trimming will alter visual impact
- No flexible payment options from Amazon
4. WeatherTech W20 All-Weather Rear Rubber Mats
If you’re in the market for rear mats only, then this is a great-value set in black and made to a universal fit that can be trimmed to size if needed. They are made of 16-pound pliable natural rubber that contains ridged edges to prevent the mats from slipping. Its grooves and reservoirs can hold up to 1.5 quarts of liquid before they would need to be cleaned and emptied out.
The materials are odorless and stand up well to harsh temperature extremes without cracking or hardening. The deep-cut ridges of the surface design make for a robust finish that helps the mats offer lasting protection for carpets, and also better capture all the mud, dirt and water trapped on passengers’ footwear.
- Deep-cut ridges and reservoirs can hold a lot of liquid
- Easy to clean
- Durable, pliable, and odorless material
- Non-slip edges
- No free shipping available
- Only one color – black